OPELOUSAS, La., March 31, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — “A daring fusion of Baja and Cajun cuisines with fresh grilled shrimp, crispy slaw and a spicy lime crema … ready in under 20 minutes,” says Girl Carnivore. With Tony Chachere’s® amazing flavors, these tacos are a great stay-at-home must eat!
For the Shrimp:
1 Lb. Shrimp, Thawed, Peeled and Deveined
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. Tony’s Original Creole Seasoning
For the Tangy Vinegar Slaw:
1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp. Pineapple Juice
1 Cup Red Cabbage, Chopped
1 Cup Cabbage, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
¼ Onion, Sliced
½ Jalapeño, Minced
1 Granny Smith Apple, Sliced
For the Spicy Lime Crema:
½ Cup Mexican Crema
1 Tbsp. Tony’s Original Creole Seasoning
1 Tsp. Tequila
1 Tsp. Lime Juice
1 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, Finely Minced
Fresh Pico de Gallo
Prep the Grill:
- Preheat the grill and make sure the grates are cleaned and oiled.
- Set the grill to indirect heat by turning 2 of the 3 burners to low.
Heat the Tortillas:
- When the grill is warm and ready, wrap the tortillas in a double layer of foil and place over the cooler side of the grill.
- Allow the tortillas to heat up, flipping the package over once or twice to avoid burning the outer-most tortilla.
Note: Heating the tortillas in foil instead of directly on the grill keeps them from getting too dry and brittle, so they are warm but still soft and pliable.
Prep and Make the Tangy Vinegar Slaw:
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and pineapple juice.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, apple, onion, and garlic with vinegar and juice to coat. Let sit, covered for 5 minutes and toss again to make sure the flavors are incorporated.
Note: You can substitute agave or honey for pineapple juice. Slaw can be made up to a day ahead, but it will lose crunch over time.
Prep and Make the Spicy Lime Crema:
- In a small bowl, whisk the crema, Tony’s Original Creole Seasoning, tequila, lime juice and cilantro together.
- Set aside.
Note: You can skip the tequila if desired. Crema can be made and stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to two days ahead.
Grill the Shrimp:
- Evenly divide the shrimp onto the skewers.
- Brush with olive oil and season liberally with Tony’s Original Creole Seasoning.
- Place on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping once, until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and carefully slide the shrimp off the skewers.
- Divide the grilled shrimp in between double layered taco shells on plates.
- Top with crispy, tangy slaw and drizzle the crema over the top.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, avocado and Pico de Gallo.
Pro Trick: Doubling the tortilla layers allows the tacos to keep their form.
Tony Chachere’s® Famous Creole Cuisine was founded in 1972 by Tony Chachere, the “Ole Master” of Creole cooking. Tony Chachere’s® continues to be family owned-and-operated and is located in Opelousas, Louisiana. You can get more Tony Chachere’s® recipes and products by visiting tonychachere.com/Recipes. For all of the cooking tips you need, go to tonychachere.com/Video.