Girl with Balloon by Banksy (born 1975) emerged as the top lot at the end of Bonhams marathon two-day Prints and Multiples sale in London on 18 and 19 June, selling for £112,563. It had been estimated at £60,000-80,000. The sale made a total of £1,136,569 with 78% sold by lot and 85% by value.
Among other works by Banksy were:
- Donuts (Strawberry). Sold for £40,063 (estimate £20,000-30,000)
- Rude Copper. Sold for £30,063 (estimate £8,000-12,000)
The two-day sale was curated jointly by Bonhams Director of Prints, Lucia Tro Santafe, and by the Director of the Prints Department at Knightsbridge Carolin van Massenbach. Lucia and Carolin commented: “This was our first sale as co-curators and we are delighted with the outcome. We set out to create a sale that would have the broadest possible appeal, from Old Master prints to works by the most in-demand of contemporary printmakers such as Banksy, and the results have more than justified our approach.”
Other highlights included:
- Pool Made with Paper and Blue Ink for Book by David Hockney (born 1937). Sold for £32,563 (estimate: £15,000-25,000).
- Overcoming Optimism by Harland Miller (born 1964). Sold for £28,313 (estimate: £10,000-15,000)
- Going to the Match by L.S. Lowry (1887-19). Sold for £25,063 (estimate: £15,000-25,000).
- Harbour of Flushing by Edward Wadsworth (1889-1949). Sold for £15,063 (estimate £5,000-7,000).