From Director Cullen Hoback And Executive Producer Adam McKay
- Q: INTO THE STORM, a six-part documentary series directed by Cullen Hoback (“Terms and Conditions May Apply”) and executive produced by Adam McKay (HBO’s “Succession”), debuts with two back-to-back episodes SUNDAY, MARCH 21 (9:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), with new episodes airing back-to-back subsequent Sundays at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The series will premiere on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.
- Logline: Spanning three years in the making and traversing the globe, the series follows filmmaker Cullen Hoback on a labyrinthine journey to uncover the forces behind QAnon, a movement fueled by conspiracy theories that has grown in scope and political significance, chronicling its evolution in real time and revealing how “Q” uses information warfare to game the internet, hijack politics and manipulate people’s thinking.
- Hoback gains unprecedented access to key players including Jim and Ron Watkins, the father/son team behind the 8chan website, the site “Q” calls home; explores their rivalry with Fredrick Brennan, the original creator of the platform; and interviews “Q-tubers”, Q debunkers, political operatives, and journalists who have been closely following the movement since it began in 2017.
- The series examines the connections between QAnon, President Trump, and political and ex-military operatives. It also explores QAnon’s influence on American culture and politics and probes the consequences of unfettered free speech permeating the darkest corners of the internet.
- Adam McKay quote: “Nothing takes away the power of conspiracy theories and lies more than exposing them to the light of day. And Cullen’s three-year deep dive into the world of Q and the dark fringes of the internet is a powerful blast of clarity and truth exactly when we need it. I can’t believe he pulled this off.”
- Cullen Hoback quote: “QAnon derives its power from anonymity and secrecy, so I set out to unmask and demystify the whole thing, gaining access to key players over the course of several years. Audiences can take an unfiltered look at what transpired behind the scenes and uncover the forces that drove Q’s most ardent believers to storm the Capitol.”
- Credits: HBO Documentary Films presents A Hyrax Films Production in association with Hyperobject Industries. Q: INTO THE STORM is written, filmed and directed by Cullen Hoback; executive producers, Adam McKay, Todd Schulman; co-executive producers, Ben Selkow, Zac Stuart-Pontier; producers, Cullen Hoback, Alina Solodnikova; co-producers, Cristine Dewey, Annie Roney, Peter Baxter, John Ramos, David Diliberto. For HBO: senior producer, Tina Nguyen; executive producers, Lisa Heller, Nancy Abraham.